Author Topic: Tissue Lysis Buffer  (Read 9600 times)

ABC123

Tissue Lysis Buffer
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
Hello,

I am putting together a protocol to carry out protein isolation and western blotting on rat brain tissues.  I am having a difficult time deciding on the amount of lysis buffer to use for homogenizing my samples.  My samples are in the range of about 20mg, and I am afraid to add too much lysis buffer which would give me too dilute of samples, but I also want to have enough lysis buffer to be able to homogenize the tissue well.  Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much lysis buffer should be added per a given weight of tissue when working with brain tissue?

I appreciate any advice or help.  Also, I am planning on using a Tris-HCl lysis buffer, possibly containing NP-40 or Triton X-100.

Thank you!

mkvarshney

Re: Tissue Lysis Buffer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
Hi,
I am also working on rat brain tissue; doing WB and 2DGE. For tissue lysis I use 1 ml. lysis buffer per 200 mg of tissue and it works well and protein yield is also good added that you mix protease inhibitor cocktail during lysis of tissue.

Sjouke Hoving

Re: Tissue Lysis Buffer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:07 AM »
Hi,

This comes from the General Protocol on the sticky topic:

For a tissue sample, a rule of thumb is to take a buffer/tissue ratio of 8, in other words 1 g of tissue is lysed in 8 ml of lysis buffer.

sjouke