Author Topic: copy image in BVA  (Read 2650 times)

pleprince

copy image in BVA
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:06:35 AM »
Hello,

I have a question about copying image format from BVA. Using Decyder 7.0 when I "copy selected gel image", I do not always obtain the full image to paste into another program such as Excell or Powerpoint. It looks as if it is not the full window containing the gel image that is copied but only a part with approximately 4:3 format. If by chance the gel image has this format, things go nicely, but if if doesn't, for exemple because of previous cropping or if running a shorter IPG strip yielding a square image, then the bottom of the image outside a 4:3 format is lost !

Has anyone encountered this ? Any clue to a solution to this annoying problem ?

Best regards,

Pierre Leprince

Gucio1

Re: copy image in BVA
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 04:30:05 AM »
the only thing I can think of is using the "print screen" button and then pasting the image into a graphics program like photoshop and cropping the area of the screen you want.

Ruth Horn

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
Hi Pierre, I also have this problem and was quite annoyed by it but I discoverd yesterday that if you copy the image to powerpoint and then click "ungroup" and agree to change the image into a microsoft office drawing object, then everything is visible again. And then you can group it again or do what ever you want. So the information is not lost but somehow not shown.

Hope that helps.

Ruth

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:59:27 PM by Ruth Horn »

pleprince

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:28:06 AM »
Hi,

thanks for your responses and suggestions. To continue along this trend, I have some remarks and a new solution.

Indeed the print screen button is an easy way to copy images but with an unavoidable loss of resolution that makes it unfit if figures are to be used for publications or even presentations on screen. I tested Ruth solution and it works great, the full image is recovered without loss of resolution. Still there is the problem of having to "ungroup" the image and accept to have it changed into microsoft office drawing object.  This causes the different components to become independent from each other and in my hands the font size of the annotations grows bigger. Thus resizing is necessary, texts are not exactly aligned in their windows, etc. As this change in font size seems to depend on the % of zooming of the image to bring it in the frame of powerpoint slide, there might be some adjustments to be done in all cases.

In the meantime I found another solution based on the fact that those parts of the image that become "hidden" or "lost" in the copying process in Decyder are outside the 4:3 frame format. One simply needs to force it to get completely inside that frame and this can be done by displaying the image one wants to copy together with a larger image on the screen. There is an automatic identical downsizing of both images to accommodate the larger one in the fixed window and the reduced image to be exported can be copied and pasted at once in its entirety !!
As a larger image, I took a non-relevant gel image that has been scanned with wider range than the normal settings on the typhoon. After DIA analysis, simply add it as a new template in your BVA workspace. No need to put it in a group or match it, it just has to be displayed along the image you want to export.

Please tell me if this works in your hands.

Best regards,

Pierre Leprince

dfried

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
Pierre,

I use a similar method to what Ruth described.  It is cumbersome but useful.  The small circles can be easily grouped and resized, and you can also adjust the x-axis length.  As for re-sizing the whole graphic and keep the text scaled, the trick is to copy and past this as a windows metafile once you are satisfied with the look.  You will no longer be able to un-group, but the entire image will re-size proportionately.  Great for publications and presentations.

David

yudohaoxiu

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:04 AM »
Thank you for the inspiration . I have found an easy solution - just paste in OpenOffice draw and export into .pdf, straightforward.